DesBarres Manor’s Top 10 Activities for a
Nova Scotia Fall Getaway
Fall is a remarkable time to escape to DesBarres Manor Inn for a Nova Scotia getaway. The changing seasons bring reds, yellows and oranges to the hills that slope down the ocean. Fall vegetables and herbs from the Manor’s organic garden offer fresh inspiration to the culinary team. And the relaxed pace of fall makes it perfect for people escaping the beaten path.
We share our favourite autumn getaway ideas so you can experience the great tastes, sights and activities of our special region when DesBarres Manor Inn. We hope our fall getaway ideas capture your imagination and your desire to explore the Nova Scotia Authentic Seacoast in the autumn.
- Nova Scotia Fall Wine Festival Dinners. DesBarres Manor celebrates the Fall Nova Scotia wine festival with nightly dinners that pair the best in Nova Scotia cuisine with the Province’s award winning wines.
- Fall Picnics on Chedabucto Bay. Fall romance doesn’t get any easier than the DesBarres Manor “Authentic Luxury in Leaves” getaway. Grab a complimentary traditional wicker picnic basket and blanket and find a secluded spot for an autumn snuggle in the outdoors.
- Fall Golf at Osprey Shores. One of Atlantic Canada’s most picturesque golf courses gets even more beautiful when the trees turn autumn colours. And DesBarres Manor guests get 10% off green fees and club rentals.
- Fall Drive on Route 16. Described by Frommers as an “uncommonly scenic drive”, Route 16 from Guysborough to Canso becomes even more scenic when the fall colours come alive. A DesBarres Manor Inn picnic basket is the perfect addition for a fall drive along the south shore.
- Fall Walking Trails. The coastal hiking trails along Chedabucto Bay become a wonderland of colour in the autumn with the Trans Canada trail passing through the back of the DesBarres Manor Inn grounds.
- Fireside Dinners. Crisp autumn nights create the perfect atmosphere for a romantic dinner beside the Manor’s 1837 hearth fireplace.
- Fall Cooking Class. With fresh fall flavours from the DesBarres Manor Inn gardens, join the Chef for an East Coast cooking class.
- Fall Bird Migration. The south shore of Chedabucto Bay includes the most easterly point of mainland Nova Scotia and attracts thousands of birds for the fall migration. A renowned location for gannet watching is the Canso Causeway, selected by St. Francis Xavier biologist Randy Lauff as one of Nova Scotia’s top birding spots.
- Sea Kayaking and Canoeing on the Guysborough Harbour. The fall colours are beautiful when you're looking at them from a sea kayak on the Guysborough harbour. Just below DesBarres Manor Inn on the harbour, Skipping Stone Cafe & Store rents out Valley sea kayaks and Langford canoes. Take one out and take in the beauty of fall on the harbour.
- Fall Fishing. Estuarial salmon season continues till the end of September and anglers can enjoy some of the best salmon fishing of the year.
To learn more about all the fall getaway activities on the Nova Scotia Authentic Seacoast, click here to go to the Authentic Seacoast website.