DesBarres Manor’s Top 10 Activities for a
Nova Scotia Fall Getaway
Fall is a remarkable time to escape to DesBarres Manor Inn for a Nova Scotia getaway. The changing seasons bring reds, yellows and oranges to the hills that slope down the ocean. Fall vegetables and herbs from the Manor’s organic garden offer fresh inspiration to the culinary team. And the relaxed pace of fall makes it perfect for people escaping the beaten path.
We share our favourite autumn getaway ideas so you can experience the great tastes, sights and activities of our special region when DesBarres Manor Inn. We hope our fall getaway ideas capture your imagination and your desire to explore the Nova Scotia Authentic Seacoast in the autumn.
- Fall Picnics on Chedabucto Bay. Fall romance doesn’t get any easier than a picnic lunch prepared by the DesBarres Manor Inn kitchen. Just find a secluded spot for an autumn snuggle in the outdoors.
- Taste award-winning spirits at Authentic Seacoast Distilling Co. Cozy up by the distillery’s massive stone fireplace and sample Fortress Rum, Virga Vodka, Sea Fever Rum and GLYNNEVAN Whisky. Let us help you get behind the scenes with our Nova Scotia Spirits Getaway Package.
- Learn about Guysborough’s proud brewing heritage. Guysborough is the birthplace of brewing in Atlantic Canada and Authentic Seacoast Brewing continues this proud history with their Rare Bird Craft Beer. Sample their craft beers at the brewery and take a tour to learn more about how brewing got its start in Guysborough in 1659. Our Craft Beer Getaway Package is the perfect way to experience this spectacular facility on the Guysborough harbour.
- Fall Drive on Route 16. Described by Frommers as an “uncommonly scenic drive”, Route 16 from Guysborough to Canso becomes even more scenic when the fall colours come alive. A DesBarres Manor Inn picnic basket is the perfect addition for a fall drive along the south shore.
- Fall Walking Trails. The coastal hiking trails along Chedabucto Bay become a wonderland of colour in the autumn with the Trans Canada trail passing through the back of the DesBarres Manor Inn grounds.
- Fireside Dinners. Crisp autumn nights create the perfect atmosphere for a romantic dinner beside the Manor’s 1837 hearth fireplace. Our Romantic Getaway Package will help get you in the mood.
- Fall Cooking Class. With fresh fall flavours from the DesBarres Manor Inn gardens, join the Chef for an East Coast cooking class.
- Fall Bird Migration. The south shore of Chedabucto Bay includes the most easterly point of mainland Nova Scotia and attracts thousands of birds for the fall migration. A renowned location for gannet watching is the Canso Causeway, selected by St. Francis Xavier biologist Randy Lauff as one of Nova Scotia’s top birding spots.
- Sea Kayaking and Canoeing on the Guysborough Harbour. The fall colours are beautiful when you're looking at them from a sea kayak on the Guysborough harbour. The Authentic Seacoast Distillery & Brewery rents out Valley sea kayaks and Langford canoes. Take one out and take in the beauty of fall on the harbour.
- Fall Fishing. Estuarial salmon season continues till the end of September and anglers can enjoy some of the best salmon fishing of the year.
To learn more about all the fall getaway activities on the Nova Scotia Authentic Seacoast, click here to go to the Authentic Seacoast website.